Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Untitled Exhibit:

The first exhibit I entered was the "Untitled" exhibit. The class had to walk through Chinatown in order to reach the section of the Lower East Side where the exhibits were. The environment outside the exhibits was vastly different than the luxurious setting in Chelsea. The Lower East Side galleries are subtly placed between the streets of Chinatown which gives off an urban essence. The streets are filled with shady vendors selling cheap knockoffs, parody t-shirts, or drug paraphernalia on the sidewalk. Chinatown seems to be home to a lower socio-economic class whereas Chelsea has a thriving  I honestly felt very comfortable as the rugged texture of the city felt familiar to various other neighborhoods I have been in throughout NYC. Not that I embrace shady people and cheap shops, but they are in no way taboo to a weathered New Yorker. The exhibit itself was a room in which you would have to walk through the reception desk. At the very forefront of the gallery is a large suspended frame with a mixture of vivid colors. This exhibit seemed to me to be very anticlimactic after they opted to go with the "untitled" gimmick. Nothing stood out to me however I do not undermine the talent I was in front of.

Eileen Quinlan Exhibit:

This exhibit also failed to keep me enthralled however I did find several topics of interest within the exhibit. The techniques utilized were quite unique as I had never before been exposed to such. Quinlan utilizes the process of "decay" (as mentioned in the press release) in order to manipulate her photographic art. A work of interest includes some shots with dimmed lighting wh ere the image undergoes a metamorphosis after a set period of time due to the "decay" (attributable to respective variables of the medium and artist's intent).

HYON - GYON - PHANTOMS ON PARADE

This exhibit is one where I actually wish I had several thousand dollars to spare in order to invest. I would be flabbergasted if this artist's style were to go unnoticed by the mainstream. The compositions were similar in their makeup and subject matter, however these respective pieces of work each are something to marvel at. Cloth is used ingeniously as the material which creates the "flesh" of these demons; the cloths are set as large layers and at times are spread out as thin as possible, the image resembling burnt flesh with several holes. The cloths can be heavily textured or smooth to represent the varying layers of "flesh". Silicon (melted?) is dripped on various spots of the demon's mouth, giving off a menacing and repulsive image. The teeth are individual pieces of glass or plastic which you can see your own reflection in.


No comments:

Post a Comment